29 July 2009

Fried Potato Balls

It is not my usual style to deep fry things in my kitchen as I hate the use of large amount of oil in cooking. But once in a blue moon, I'll try out some deep fried dishes just to satisfy the craving of those at home. I have a very understanding hubby, he always tell me to buy whatever deep fried stuff I feel like eating, no need to spend so much effort to go through the process.

Last week, I made these deep fried potato balls for dinner. They go very well with tartar sauce and the kids love them. Yummy!



My apologies for not having a proper recipe as I didn't really measure the individual ingredients. Hopefully this estimated recipe will give you an idea of how to make these. You can always alter yours according to your liking.



Fried Potato Balls

Makes about 36 potato balls

Ingredients (estimated)

550g minced pork
10 Chinese mushrooms
3 tbsp light soy sauce
Coriander powder (I use quite a generous amount)
Dashes of sesame oil
1 egg yolk
5 medium potatoes
Garlic Salt
1-2 tbsp Margarine
Bread crumbs
1 egg white



Method
1. Soak and wash the Chinese mushrooms. Cut them into small dices.
2. Season the minced meat and mushrooms with the light soy sauce, coriander powder, sesame oil and egg yolk. I marinate it for at least 2 hrs.
3. Boil the potatoes till cooked. Remove the skin and mash them when hot. Season with margarine and garlic salt (use normal salt if you do not have garlic salt).
4. Mix the mashed potatoes with the seasoned meat. Make into balls of about 1.5 inches. (I use two spoons to make into balls so that I don't have to mess up my hands.)
5. Coat each ball with egg white followed by bread crumbs. Freeze the balls for 15 mins to prevent too much crumbs from dropping off during frying.
6. Fry the balls in hot oil until golden brown. Drain and serve with tartar sauce.

1 comment:

missy said...

wow thanks for the lovelu recipe for fried potato balls. its a good idea and i think the ingredients can be modified to each individual's preference. :)