18 June 2009

Bulgogi, my style

I didn't realise I haven't been in touch with my blog for such a long time. My last post was at the beginning of the month. I really had my hands full in these few weeks of school holidays, so much so that I haven't done any baking. Ironically, I couldn't recall what I was exactly busy with.

Ever since the last Hana fever, I went on to watch a Korean variety show, We Got Married, where celebrities were matched as couples supposedly to be married and living together. Each week, each couple will be given a mission to complete. One of the mission was to make Kimchi. That got me interested in Kimchi and other Korean food. So last Thurs, I tried making a Korean dish, Bulgogi.



Bulgogi usually uses beef, but I chose to use pork instead, as Cold Storage was having offer on pork shabu-shabu. I couldn't recall the exact taste of Bulgogi which I did last time with off the shelf marinate, but this was good! Goes extremely well with Kimchi. Yum yum! And it's so easy to make! DS loved it so much that he asked me to make it again next time.

Marinated Bulgogi


Bulgogi

Ingredients
300g pork shabu-shabu or very thinly sliced pork
70g spring onion
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp roasted white sesame seeds
4 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp sugar
4 dashes of ground black pepper (you can add more if you prefer it more spicy)

Method
1. Rinse pork and drain off excess water. Rinse spring onions and chop them into length of approximately 3cm.
2. Mix all ingredients well and marinate overnight.
3. Stir fry over medium heat until meat is just cooked.
4. Serve with rice and Kimchi. Alternatively, wrap the meat in lettuce and eat it as a whole.

7 comments:

Happy Homebaker said...

I would love to give this a try! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

KWF said...

HHB, let me know if this is close to any Korean Bulgogi you've tried if you happen to do it. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi KWF,

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I would definitely want to give it a try. This is especially good when trying to fix a fast and nice meal. :)

BTW, what are those 'white patches' on the marinated meat? They look like egg white to me.

Many thanks.

KWF said...

Hi there, the white patches are the fats from the pork sukiyaki.

Anonymous said...

Hee... also don't know why I see them as semi-cooked egg white. :P

Thanks alot for the prompt reply. :)

Jackie said...

Me too, fall in love with Korean food.

Do u know where i can buy delicious kimchi ?

KWF said...

Jackie, how about making your own Kimchi? See this.