29 July 2009

Crazy over Chiffon

Finally I can access my PC! My monitor has been taking non-approved time off as and when it likes to. For the past 1 week or so, I have no access to my PC as the monitor just show me a blank white screen whenever I tried to turn it on. This is not the first time it happens and I anticipate it will not be the last. So here I am, with tonnes of backlogs to update since I've been churning out things from my kitchen for the past week. I hope I can complete my updates before the monitor takes its next long break again.

I finally understand why some of the bakers out there couldn't stop baking Chiffon cakes, especially if they've succeeded after many tries. Chiffon is very addictive to bake (and eat) indeed. It is light and not as oily and hence a "healthier" version of cake to feed into my ever expanding tummy.

Since I wasn't completely successful in Chiffon yet (it really very much depends on my luck), I continued to bake Chiffon in different flavours. The kids are obviously getting a bit tired of Chiffon. They used to be able to finish a 21cm Chiffon in 2 days, now it usually takes a few days. They didn't complain, just not as interested to eat mummy's cake. Sorry kids, practice makes perfect. So until your mummy gets it right confidently, you'll probably be seeing more versions of Chiffon on your dining table.

After my last failed Mango Yogurt Chiffon, I decided to try on a "normal" Chiffon. I chose to bake a Chocolate flavoured one this time. I did the cake twice, as I find the Chocolate flavour to be too mild in the first trial. I was hoping to achieve a real Chocolatey Chiffon.

I tried not to overbeat the egg whites. Not too sure if I've succeeded but this is how my egg white looks like.




I did a mistake for the first cake. I popped it into the oven and went to shower (bad move!), thinking it'll take at least 30 minutes to be baked. My oven ended up too hot. There was a hole in the cake near the tube of the pan.



Other than that, the cake looked better than my Mango Yogurt Chiffon. The holes were not as big and it was taller.




For my second attempt, I had used melted dark chocolate instead of cocoa powder. It tasted better, but still not what I deem as real chocolatey. Will continue to experiment more in future. Do you think the second cake looks better compared to my first?


5 comments:

Blessed Homemaker said...

I'll say your chiffon is successful :)

KWF said...

Thanks Blessed Homemaker. I hope all my Chiffon will turn out like this. I still hope I can achieve a taller cake. Mine only measures about 6cm tall.

WendyinKK said...

Congrats!
Your chiffon looks good.

Blessed Homemaker said...

You will definitely succeed in your subsequent attempts. I don't know about the height as I don't bake in chiffon cake pan. BTW, kudos to you for your great determination. **Respect**

Cute Kero said...

well done:) I hope I can do that do.