10 April 2008

Finally, a good old loaf

I tried baking in my covered bread tin again yesterday, this time seeking Rei's advice to leave it for a while before opening the cover. It works! I've finally got a beautiful loaf that's not torn apart.



So the moral of the story is, have some patience when dealing with bread, including the tools!! lol....

I've used the plain white loaf which I've previously tried, but wasn't really satisfied the last round. This time, I've reduced the amount of yeast in the original recipe. The bread tasted much better, like those store-bought sandwich loaf. It's more of a sweet bread. Texture-wise, it's soft and fluffy.




Plain Sandwich Loaf

Ingredients

Bread flour 300g
Yeast 4g
Salt 5g
Sugar 25g
Butter/Margarine 25g
Water 80g (original recipe calls for 75g, but I find the dough a little dry to knead)
Milk 75g
Condensed Milk 50g

Method
1. Mix all dry ingredients together.
2. Add in wet ingredients and mix to form a dough.
3. Knead dough till smooth and elastic.
4. Leave to proof in covered bowl till double in size (about 1-1.5 hrs).
5. When proofing is completed, roll out dough and divide into 3 portions. Rest for 10-15 minutes.
6. Roll out each portion of dough before rolling it swiss roll style.
7. Place the doughs into your bread tin and proof till 80% of the height of tin.
8. Cover the tin and bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 30 minutes.
9. Leave to cool in covered tin for 15 minutes before removing bread to cool completely on wire rack.


The dough is not really wet and hence quite easy to work with. But somehow, I seem to have problem with this kind of "non-wet" dough. It seemed like I can never reach the membrane stage with it.


Mood: thrilled

6 comments:

Rei said...

WF, glad you've got the loaf coming out intact. :D

Anonymous said...

Happy for you that yr bread came out perfect.
Sandra

Happy Homebaker said...

I want to try this!!

KWF said...

Thanks, rei and sandra.

HHB, let me know your verdict, coz I'm not too sure whether I've kneaded the bread enough. I seem to have developed bread kneading worries! lol....

Yuri said...

Hey wf, finally! Well done.

KWF said...

Thanks yuri. Did you try with your tin yet?