11 March 2008

Simply irresistible!

I baked this tonight for dinner. WARNING: This can be very addictive, coz I can't stop eating! lol...



This recipe was taught to me by my dear teacher cum friend, Gina. She is very kind to allow me to share it here with all who're interested to try. Being very absent-minded of me (as usual), I did it in a slightly different way from her, but ingredients wise, I tried to follow as closely as possible based on what was recorded in my limited memory.

Irresistible Baked Pork (couldn't think of a better name for this dish...lol...)

Ingredients
800g 五花肉 (pork shoulder butt)
Juice from half a lemon

Seasoning
2/3 bottle plum sauce (I used Woh Hup brand, 400g a bottle)
equal amount of water as plum sauce

Method
1. In a saucepan, mix the plum sauce and equal amount of water over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat when it is well mixed and leave it aside to cool off.
2. Rub the pork with the lemon juice.
3. Place the pork into a big plastic bag or ziplock bag. Pour the cooled plum sauce mixture into the bag and secure the bag opening. Season the pork in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
4. Bake in oven at 220-240C for about 45 mins to 1 hr, until the pork is cooked. Turn the pork once during baking if needed. For the last 5-10 minutes, you may wish to turn to the grill function of your oven to brown the meat a little.
5. To prepare the sauce, cook the plum sauce marinate in a saucepan over medium heat until it turns into a thick sauce.
6. Cut the pork into bite size and drizzle a little of the sauce over meat. The remaining sauce can serve as a dip.


The original recipe was meant for 1kg pork loin. You'll have to get pork loin with the skin, rolled it up swiss roll style and tie it up with a string. Use juice from 2 lemons to help tenderise the meat and the whole bottle of plum sauce (and corresponding amount of water) for seasoning. Bake the pork loin with the string and only cut off the string after the meat is cooked. Sliced the meat thinly before serving. I chose to use 五花肉 instead because this cut of the meat has layers of fats in between, which makes it very tender and juicy even after baking.

This is a very simple and yet delicious dish to do. Definitely a keeper for me, especially when I need to entertain guests as the preparation work can be done one day in advance. It was so good that I couldn't stop eating even after I've finished my dinner!

Mood: full

8 comments:

Gina Choong said...

wah liao, where got absent minded? I remember briefly telling you how to do this during our Tekka market tour. Incidentally, its also my mom's favourite dish from me. A must-have for Christmas home party. i always roast 5kg..! :)

Anonymous said...

gina this, gina that *bored*

KWF said...

Dear anonymous-whoever-you-are, if you're so bored, choose to do something constructive. Perhaps you would like to teach me a dish or two. :) I don't see anything wrong with giving credits to the person who teaches/guide you.

Rei said...

WF, wah.. I want to try.. :D

Yuri said...

Thanks kwf for blogging about this. May attempt the "original" version if i can the butcher to give me the whole piece of loin meat...

KWF said...

rei & yuri, let me know your verdict if you do try.

Mrs Singh said...

Hi KWF, Just discovered your Blog.Its so good of you to share your recipes, plus all your tips and "mistakes" too. How will we ever learn if we dont make mistakes, hmm? Wanted to know the Chinese words for the pork shoulder butt that you used, so that I can tell my Chinese Butcher lady here in Ipoh, Malaysia.We communicate in Malay only.Would love to try this easy recipe for my family. Thanks in advance, regards, Mrs Singh

KWF said...

Hi mrs singh, thanks for dropping by. The pork shoulder butt is call 五花肉 (Wu Hua Rou). It's got stripes of fats in between the meat, so it stays tender after baking. Althernatively, you can also use pork belly (choose those with less fats). Hope you like it as much as I do. I believe in sharing my mistakes also, so that we can learn from each other. :)