I baked this tonight for dinner. WARNING: This can be very addictive, coz I can't stop eating! lol...
This recipe was taught to me by my dear teacher cum friend, Gina. She is very kind to allow me to share it here with all who're interested to try. Being very absent-minded of me (as usual), I did it in a slightly different way from her, but ingredients wise, I tried to follow as closely as possible based on what was recorded in my limited memory.
Irresistible Baked Pork (couldn't think of a better name for this dish...lol...)
800g 五花肉 (pork shoulder butt)
Juice from half a lemon
2/3 bottle plum sauce (I used Woh Hup brand, 400g a bottle)
equal amount of water as plum sauce
1. In a saucepan, mix the plum sauce and equal amount of water over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat when it is well mixed and leave it aside to cool off.
2. Rub the pork with the lemon juice.
3. Place the pork into a big plastic bag or ziplock bag. Pour the cooled plum sauce mixture into the bag and secure the bag opening. Season the pork in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
4. Bake in oven at 220-240C for about 45 mins to 1 hr, until the pork is cooked. Turn the pork once during baking if needed. For the last 5-10 minutes, you may wish to turn to the grill function of your oven to brown the meat a little.
5. To prepare the sauce, cook the plum sauce marinate in a saucepan over medium heat until it turns into a thick sauce.
6. Cut the pork into bite size and drizzle a little of the sauce over meat. The remaining sauce can serve as a dip.
The original recipe was meant for 1kg pork loin. You'll have to get pork loin with the skin, rolled it up swiss roll style and tie it up with a string. Use juice from 2 lemons to help tenderise the meat and the whole bottle of plum sauce (and corresponding amount of water) for seasoning. Bake the pork loin with the string and only cut off the string after the meat is cooked. Sliced the meat thinly before serving. I chose to use 五花肉 instead because this cut of the meat has layers of fats in between, which makes it very tender and juicy even after baking.
This is a very simple and yet delicious dish to do. Definitely a keeper for me, especially when I need to entertain guests as the preparation work can be done one day in advance. It was so good that I couldn't stop eating even after I've finished my dinner!