13 February 2008

Roast Pork (Shao Rou)

Decided to make Roast Pork today as this is my kids' favourite. The roast pork turned out quite nice when fresh from the oven and slightly cooled, very crispy. But after a few hours, it's lost its crispiness. :( I wonder how to retain its crispiness. It's a little too salty, so the next round I'll reduce the amount of seasoning.



Roast Pork

Ingredients
500g Pork Belly
3 tsp Garlic Salt (I had used 4 tsp this round and it turn out a bit too salty)
1 1/2 tsp Five Spice Powder (I had used 2 tsp this round)

For glazing
1/2 tsp honey
Few drops of vinegar
Little water (about 1/2 tbl)

Method
1. Scald pork belly in boiling water for a few minutes. Drain and cool the pork belly completely.
2. Using a sharp pointed tool such as a chisel (I use a satay stick), pierce as many holes as possible onto the skin layer.
3. Mix the garlic salt and five spice powder together.
4. Rub the seasoning into the pork.
5. Leave the pork belly in the fridge (uncovered) to season overnight. This will dry up the skin.
6. Roast/bake in the middle shelf of your oven at a high temperature (I use 250C), with the skin facing upwards, until the pork is cooked (about 40-50 minutes) but skin yet to crackle completely. It will be good to line a tray with aluminium foil to be placed at the bottom of the oven to collect the oil.
7. Remove the pork belly from the oven and brush the skin with the diluted glazing. Pierce the pork skin again with a fork.
8. Return the pork belly into the oven and change it to grill mode (door open).
9. Grill until the pork skin turns dark brown or burnt.



10. Remove the pork from the oven and scrape off the burns with a knife. It should reveal a very crispy golden brown at the bottom of the burnt layer. If there is any part that is not crispy, return the pork to the oven and give it a further grill to achieve the burnt effect. Repeat the grilling and scraping process until you achieve a uniform golden crispy skin.



Note:
- It helps to get a pork belly that is even so as to achieve a more even grilling.
- When returning the pork belly for re-grilling, you may wish to first cover the crispy portion with aluminium foil. I did not do that though. What I did was to hold the portion that requires re-grilling nearer to the top heat so that the other parts are not as burnt.


Mood: full

6 comments:

Edith said...

wow these looks delish. The last time I done this, my hse was fumed with smoke. Is yours like that?

KWF said...

Lol...Edith, luckily for me, not much smoke, coz I left the oven door wide open during grilling. I also periodically clean off the oil from the tray. I love them when they're crispy. Still have not found a way to retain its crispiness. :(

Anonymous said...

I have been trying to roast pork but I always have problems with de-hairing them. Scalding the pork in boiling water doesn't seem to remove the hair and plucking them one by one with tweezers is painstakingly slow. Do you have any tips on how to de-hair pork?

KWF said...

Hi, unfortunately no. I use a tweezer to manually pull them out.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever try oiling the skin of the pork and salting them? It makes the skin quite crispy.

I usually poke holes, apply some oil on the skin and sprinkle some salt on the pork's skin. Roast the pork at 250c for 20 min to crackle the skin to make the skin crispy . Afterward I reduce the temperature to 180c until the pork is cooked and skip the grilling part.

Anonymous said...

to retain crispiness... always keep them in whole slab... before serving crisp up the skin using a hot skillet and abit of oil

to remove pig's hair... use a butane torch... pros in hongkong use propane torches that looks like a flame thrower!