13 January 2008

A big feast tonight

Invited my in-laws over for dinner and these are what I came out with. Took me a day to prepare all these!

Chilli Crab


Baked Butter Crab


Dumpling Soup


"You Cai"


Braised Chicken Wings


Yam Paste (Or Nee)


I got the Chilli Crab paste from the wet market today. In my hurry to cook the dish, I forgot to take a photo of it first. Now I can't remember what's the brand of the paste. It was nice. Everyone likes it though some commented it's spicy.

Chilli Crabs

Ingredients
2 live crabs, killed, cleaned and chopped to serving size
6 garlics, chopped
5 slices of ginger, cut into strips
1 tbl Tau Cheong (preserved salted soya beans)
1 tbl sugar
1 bottle Chilli Crab Paste (about 230g)
1 tbl Tomato Ketchup (not required if your Chilli Crab Paste has tomato in it)
250ml water
1 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 lime
1 cup Coriander, cut into 1 inch length

Method
1. Fry garlic and ginger in wok till fragrant.
2. Add crabs and stir fry till cooked or when it changes colour.
3. Add all other ingredients (except lime, Coriander & egg) to crabs. Cover wok and let it cooked over medium heat for about 5 mins. You may need to add a little hot water if the sauce dries up too much.
4. Remove the cover, add egg to the crabs and give it a quick stir.
5. Add the Coriander and stir to mix.
6. Squeeze lime juice over the crabs.
7. Serve immediately.


Did a non spicy Baked Butter Crab, more for the kids so that they can have a share of the crabs too.

Baked Butter Crabs

Ingredients
1 crab, washed and cleaned
3 cloves garlic, chopped
20g ginger, cut into thin strips

Seasoning
1 tbl rice wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbl butter

Method
1. Combine garlic and ginger with seasoning and scatter onto the crab.
2. Wrap crab in aluminium foil and place on a baking tray.
3. Transfer to preheated oven and bake at 250 degC for 20 minutes.
4. Remove aluminium foil and serve.


This feels like a "rehearsal" for my reunion lunch, which I'm supposed to prepare 7 or 8 dishes!

Mood: tired

6 comments:

Gina Choong said...

wai fun, rehearsal got standard leh! keep up the good work. Next, is your nian gao and cakes. too bad I won't be around to kapo with you on the jewellry cake.

KWF said...

Gina, I hope I have Nian Gao & jewellry cake to show you when you're back. :D

Anonymous said...

Hi !

My first visit here. The pictures of the dishes really caught my eyes especially crabs. I love crabs the most among all seafood. I usually make fried crabs with ginger and spring onion or simply steam it with dip with soy sauce + sesame oil + chilli. Thanks for inspiration of baked butter crabs, I will absolutely try it !!!

KWF said...

chumpman, thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll like the baked crabs should you try them.

Anonymous said...

Can you share how to make yam paste ? Steam, added with sugar and water then blend ?

KWF said...

chumpman, I made yam paste like this.

1. Cut off the skin and cut the yam into big slices. Steam till cooked.
2. Blend yam in a blender with water (add just enough water to get your blender blending smoothly).
3. Fry the yam paste with shallot oil. Add sugar according to your taste.