07 April 2008

When something goes wrong, blame your tools

That's what I like to do, especially in situation like this. Just look at this.



I was so frustrated while trying to dislodge the freshly baked loaf from the bread tin this afternoon. I did ensure I've greased the tin properly (including the cover) before putting the dough into the tin for the second proofing. I've had a nice soft dough today and was anticipating a successful bread from my latest experiment on banana bread. And then it turned out like this. A total disaster and disappointment!

This was not the first time I encountered similar situation using a covered bread tin. It could be I do not know the right way to use it. Everytime I tried to remove my fresh loaf from the hot tin, I had so much struggling. The bread would be glued to the tin (including the cover), making it almost impossible to open the tight cover. I usually need to spend much effort and time before I could forcefully pull the cover out. And then some more struggling before I could remove the bread from the tin. The end result is always a much distorted bread like what you've seen here. Perhaps you can shed some light on how I should remove my bread if you've experience with this kind of tin. I'm really ready to give it up!

Back to today's bread. After the KC daring challenge on banana cake, I thought of making a wholemeal banana bread with some of my remaining bananas. It is soft but it isn't a perfect bread yet. There is a slight presence of bananas, but I find it not prominent enough, though the bread smells heavenly while baking. I will continue to improve it before I share it with you.



Since I've had a lousy day of bread, I decided to make my favourite (also my family's favourite) burger for dinner. I top it up with a wholesome pumpkin soup. This is by far one of the easiest burgers to make. One I considered to be as good as hotel standard...lol... Try it and see if you'll love it as much as we do.



Hearty Beef Burger

Ingredients

Foccacia Bread (I use Gardenia Foccacia Bread)
Lettuce (a good choice would be Baby Butterhead)
4-5 slices Shabu-shabu beef (for one burger)
1 slice Cheddar Cheese (highly recommended to use President brand)
2-3 Shitake mushrooms, sliced
butter
salt & pepper

Method
1. In a frying pan, melt some butter. Add in mushrooms and fry till soft. Set aside.
2. Next stir fry the beef until just change color. Season with dash of pepper and salt. Set aside.
3. Slice the foccacia bread horizontally across and spread butter on both slices. Heat the buttered side on the frying pan for 1-2 minutes until it is lightly browned.
4. To assemble, place 2-3 leaves of lettuce on top of the bottom slice of the bread. Top with beef, followed by mushrooms and lastly a slice of cheddar cheese. Cover with the remaining hot slice of bread. Let the burger stand for a few minutes for the cheese to melt a little and enjoy!



Mood: angry

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry this happened to yr bread. I read somewhere that the lid is to be used after the bread reached 80 percent of the loaf pan. Like bake first without cover, then cover it later.
How about parchment paper on the top cover. How about giving the loaf pan a shake or something to loosen the insides first.
Yochana may be able to give you tips.
All the best for the next loaf.
By the way WF, have you any tried and tested French loaf recipe or direct me to a recipe link. There is just too much on the web and I don't know which to try.
Sandra

Yuri said...

hey wf, nice looking burger, yummy. I didn't know that bread would stick to the pan cover, hoping some shifu can shed light on this mystery as well :P

Rei said...

WF, have you tried letting it stand for 5 to 10 minutes before you open the lid or try to dislodge it from the tin? I remembered when I baked my 1st square loaf, I waited a while before removing. Non of this happened. Applying science to it; when an object is hot, it expands, thus making it bigger than its volume. If you let it cool down a little, it will shrink back to what it should be. On top of that, you will not risk burns. If you still face this problem after letting it stand, you can also try greasing and flouring your tin. HTH

Anonymous said...

Hi kwf

so sorry about your bread...can't advise any tips though cause i am still at the stage of figuring out why my dough is always so sticky and difficult to shape!
I am interested to try out your beef burger recipe this weekend..would like to know what is this shabu shabu beef and can i get it from ntuc? hope it doesn't cause a leg or an arm:)
thks
octopusmum

KWF said...

Sandra, I didn't know about baking without the cover first. That's new to me. All along I thought the way to do it was to wait for the bread to rise to 80% then cover it and send it to the oven. Parchment paper sounds like a workable solution. Thanks for that. Too bad, shaking does not help coz I almost bang the tin hard to try to get the bread out. :P
About french loaf I haven't try one yet. Did you try checking whether KC has any tested recipe?

yuri, I've used the tin at least 4 times. Everytime sure to stick, without fail! Not only to the cover, to all other sides as well.

rei, Gina suggested cooling the bread in the tin too. But I wasn't sure if the bread will get soggy. I'll let it rest a while the next round. Thanks for the tips.

octopusmum, this burger recipe never fails me. It'll sure win you praises. You can get shabu-shabu beef from cold storage, usually at $9.80 per box. But sometimes they got real good offer at half price (during their quick sale). I know it's very expensive, but it produce miraculous results on burgers. Try it and you'll know what I mean. Don't forget to use President brand of cheese (green packaging). It melts faster and blends in real well.

Anonymous said...

WF, I tried searching for where I read about that 80 percent thing, can't find it. Anyway, here's a site with suggestions on how to solve bread getting stuck in loaf pan.
http://www.chowhound.com/topics/397031

Good Luck!
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Hi WF,

thks so much! will go take a look during lunch time and see if i can find it in CS...but if i do buy it, must make sure i remove the price tag cause husband will surely jump!
one more thing, i must make sure i don't overcook the beef right? otherwise it will turn out to be too hard and tough...

octopusmum

KWF said...

octopusmum, the beauty of this shabu shabu is, it's very difficult to overcook it. Hence it's a very "safe" part to use for all cooks, experienced or inexperienced. :) The beef is specially sliced till paper thin and there are streaks of fats in between which makes it tender and juicy. As such it changes colour very fast during cooking (like 1+ min). Just fry it on a frying pan for a while will do. A simple ground black pepper and salt is all the seasonings you need. Look forward to hearing the reviews from you. Enjoy your burger!

KWF said...

Sandra, thanks for the link. Very useful. :)

Anonymous said...

HI WF

thks v much for your quick reply. i just came back from the cold storage and i saw this box of beef called "Beef Steamboat". since steamboat is shabu shabu in jap, this should be the one u are referring to , right? anyway, it costs $7.50 for 200g. quite ex. i am about to ask you the tips on cooking this beef when i read your reply. Now i feel more confident that this ex beef won't be wasted. okay, will go get it end of this week and try it out this week. will update u on the result.
octopusmum

KWF said...

It should be similar one, octopusmum.

Anonymous said...

HI WF

just to let u know, i saw the beef shabu shabu at NTUC (Toa Payoh)this morning and they are selling it at $8.99 for 500g. The CS one costs double that price. a bit strange, hor..

octopusmum

KWF said...

octopusmum, it's not strange. :) The CS ones are fresh ones, they're not frozen whereas the NTUC ones came in one large pack and frozen. I usually don't buy NTUC ones as I don't use that much. Don't feel safe keeping it again after defrosting.

Anonymous said...

HI WF

thks for the explanation...now i know why! i have got most of the ingredients ready, except for the beef. I may get the one from NTUC as there are 5 of us at home (2 adults and 3 kids) so should be able to finish all the 500g at one go. the 200g from cs is definitely not enough... I have even got the President cheddar cheese. this is the first time buying this brand and it is almost 2x more expensive than kraft, shock!
octopusmum

KWF said...

octopusmum, look out for the cheese when you shop at NTUC. At times they'll have offer at only $2.95 or so. Usually I'll grab a few packs and store them at home so that I can have them when needed.

Anonymous said...

HI WF

i am back to share my experience..
in the end, i bought the fresh beef from Jasons. think they are slightly cheaper than those in cs. anyway, they turned out to be quite tough. I think i knew what was the cause. instead of stir frying them until they change colour, i actually left them cooking in the pan and as i wanted to make sure they were cooked thoroughly, i cooked them longer than stated in the recipe. and i should have bought only 1 box because i could actually cut up the slices of beef which were quite big. Except for the toughness, the overall taste was good. will make them again in future but will make sure i won't overcook the beef the next time :) btw, the president cheese i used was orangy in colour and it is called "sandwich cheese". is this the one you used? one more question, i actually rinsed the beef before cooking them and there was a lot of liquid from the beef in the process of cooking...is it because of the rinsing? sorry to bother u again..this shows how ignorant i am when it comes to cooking...

octopusmum

KWF said...

octopusmum, how thick/thin is the fresh beef? So far I've only used shabu-shabu beef for this coz you'll never go wrong with it, even if you over-cook it, it will not be as tough as normal beef.

I also rinse the beef, but remember to squeeze out the excess water after that. You'll still get a little juice though.

The cheese you've bought is correct. Very nice as it melts very readily.

Hey, don't worry about asking, we all learn along the way. :)

Anonymous said...

HI WF

the beef slices are quite thin before cooking if i don't remember wrongly...but after cooking, it becomes slightly thicker. my eldest commented it was hard while my no 2 (who happened to have 2 shaky teeth) tried his best to chew...
oops, i didn't squeeze out the water. didn't know i need to do that...now i have learnt sth new..thks :)
btw, have you ever replaced the beef with some other meat for this dish? the hot bread with the mushroom and cheese was great, wondering if i could use other meat...

octopusmum

KWF said...

octopusmum, I've tried with shabu shabu pork before, but I find that beef is so far the best match with the cheese.