08 August 2009

All things yogurt

I always have problem catching up with my blog. The bakes to be blogged are always accumulating. I wonder how many food bloggers out there are facing the same problem as me. I bake before I could blog the earlier items.

I did three different items with yogurt last week. The first was another Yogurt Chiffon cake. This time I've paired it with Chempedak. This was a total failure, possibly one of the worst Chiffons I've baked this year. The cake didn't drop off the pan during cooling, but this was what I got.



And the result was a dense cake, of course. More of a "Chempedak cheesecake" kind of texture.



I realised yogurt tends to make my cakes dense. Or maybe I'm just bad at the Yogurt-Chiffon combination. All my past yogurt Chiffons didn't turn out well. I don't think I'll be trying this combination anymore, don't want to waste more ingredients.

It's been quite a while since I last made bread. Since I've got quite a fair bit of plain yogurt in my fridge and I didn't feel like making any more yogurt Chiffon, I turned to my tested Yogurt Bread recipe. I added in some Yuzu paste (I got mine from Kitchen Capers retail store at Geylang Bahru) to form a Yuzu Yogurt Bread. It was refreshing. The bread smelled great while baking in the oven. I knead this bread using my normal stand mixer at medium speed. Since it's not meant for heavy duty task, you'll have to make sure you stop the machine frequently to give the dough some turns and to prevent overheating the poor machine.



Yuzu Yogurt Bread

Ingredients
260g bread flour
15g sugar
3g salt
3g yeast
90g plain yogurt
60g fresh milk
15g egg
30g butter
2 tbsp Yuzu paste (about 40g)

Method
1. Mix all dry ingredients together.
2. Add in all wet ingredients except butter and knead to form a dough. Knead for a few minutes till you can stretch the dough a little.
3. Add in butter and knead till smooth and elastic.
4. Shape the dough into a ball. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth or cling-wrap and leave it to proof in a warm place till double its size (about 45 mins).
5. When proofing is completed, punch down the bread dough to release the air.
6. Divide the dough into 3 equal portions. Relax the dough for 10 mins. Roll and shape each portion into an oval log and placed them into a loaf pan.
7. Cover the loaf pan with a cling wrap and allow the dough to go for second proofing until it has reached 80% of the pan.
8. Cover the pan and bake in preheated oven at 170-180C for 50 minutes. My oven loses heat easily. So you may need to adjust the time according to your oven.
9. Remove bread from loaf pan immediately to cool completely.




The bread is soft and fragrant. Do give it a try. I think I'm still better at bread than cakes...lol...



The last yogurt item was some Yogurt Raisin mini cupcakes.





These were more for the kids as the two girls had excursions with the school last week. So I decided to bake these for them to bring as snacks and to finish up my tub of raisins. I had used berry yogurt for these little cuppies. It goes quite well with raisins.

6 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

Hello,
I do had same failure before. I suppose I didn't whisk enough for the egg whites. Well, I believe that your chiffon still taste very yummy as the picture shows that it's soft and fluffy! This flavour must be quite unique, I should give it a try. Cheers!

Blessed Homemaker said...

I just baked a marble chiffon cake for a gathering yesterday and it didn't turn out well too, just like yours, it had a sunken top :-(

KWF said...

I suspect my ingredients proportion is not right when it comes to adding yogurt, coz all my failed chiffons contains yogurt.

Happy Homebaker said...

I made a blueberry chiffon and it didn't turn out well too :( I like your yuzu bread, it looks so soft and fluffy!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Hi Pure Enjoyment, I just chanced upon your blog. You are really adventurous :-). Chiffon is my favourite cake. Yogurt will not go well if you incorporate it in your batter. There are enzymes in the yogurt which will kill the egg white. Another ingredient that tends to play to play havoc with egg white is chocolate/cocao powder. One needs to be very selective with the recipe when making a chocolate chiffon and you will notice it will be denser than your normal chiffon. I have just done a posting on my blueberry chiffon... if you have time, do check it out - I got a bit theoretical about the science part of baking a chiffon. Cheers!

Edith said...

WF, That bread looks soft and fluffy. yum yum....