04 October 2010

Chiffon, I think I'm getting it

If you're a regular reader of my blog, you would know that I sucks at Chiffon cakes. I have never baked one that can be considered successful. All my earlier attempts either looked like volcano eruptions, or they would end up dropping out of the pan when inverted. On that few occasions where they are "eatable", they never achieve the classic brown look.

Mom has been requesting for a mango chiffon ever since I last made her a Yuzu chiffon. I felt bad having delay it for quite some time. So I decided to make her one last weekend. I adapted the recipe from one of my trusted chiffon recipe from Rei. This time round, I let the cake sit in the oven for a longer time, knowing that my oven always required longer time that what is specified in a recipe. I had to tent the cake towards the end to prevent the top from burning. I was very happy that the cake managed to stay in the pan throughout the whole cooling period.

There you go, my first ever browned Chiffon. :)


The texture was right, springy and moist.


One minus point though, the cake didn't smell or taste of mangoes. :( Next time I'll try adding some Jupe all natural Mango paste, as suggested by Gina.

Mom tested the cake. She actually preferred the last cake which was firmer (I think that cake dropped out of the pan during cooling, if I didn't remember wrongly). So next time I must underbake the chiffon if it is for her. ;)

Here's the recipe, for Pearlyn who's requested for it. Hope you have fun baking Chiffon over at England. :)

Mango Chiffon

Ingredients
5 egg yolks
30g sugar
1/2 tsp salt
50g corn oil
130g mango puree

Sift together
130g cake flour
1.5 tsp baking powder

5 egg whites
50g sugar

Method
1. Cream egg yolk and sugar with a hand whisk until sugar dissolve. Add salt and mix well.
2. Add corn oil. Mix well.
3. Add mango puree. Mix well.
4. Fold in sifted flour mixture with a hand whisk.
5. In a clean bowl, beat egg white till soft peak. Add in sugar in 2 additions and beat till stiff peak.
6. Add 1/3 of the egg white into the yolk mixture to soften it.
7. Fold in the remaining egg white in two rounds until well incorporated. I use a hand whisk initially and change to spatula in the last round to give the bottom a final fold.
8. Pour into 21cm tube pan. Knock pan on table top to remove trapped bubbles.
9. Bake at 170C for 45-55 mins. Tent top if it gets too brown. (I bake for about an hour. Adjust the timing according to your oven.)
10. Invert cake to cool once out of the oven.

6 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

Perfectly baked chiffon! Very good job!

Bakericious said...

looks good! till now I still cannot bake well for chiffon :(.

KWF said...

Thanks Grace. I hope the future chiffon will turn out as great.

Jess, don't give up. If you've searched my blog under Chiffon, you would have known how many failures I've gone through.

Blessed Homemaker said...

You did it!! Nice!

Rei's chiffon cake recipes never fail me ;-)

Edith said...

I am soooo tempted seeing your success story.

Happy Homebaker said...

I am sure you got it! For me, it really depends on luck, at most 50 chance of getting it right!