25 April 2008

Miso Yong Tau Foo

Recently I bought a small box of miso paste from Cold Storage. All along I only know of miso soup, but never thought miso can be used for other cooking as well. It was a book I recently borrowed from the library that opened my eyes to the world of miso.

I started using miso to replace the sea salt and soy sauce in cooking. It makes sense since miso has loads of benefits to begin with. Miso adds flavour to your stir fry vegetables. You don't need additional seasoning.



Today I added a bit to the Yong Tau Foo I cooked. It tasted really good. If you have miso on hand, give it a try too.

Miso Yong Tau Foo

Ingredients
20 pieces of assorted Yong Tau Foo
1 tsp plum sauce
1 tsp white miso paste
1 tsp sugar
3/4 bowl water
2 clove garlic, chopped

Method
1. Heat up 2 tbsp oil in a wok. Fry garlic till fragrant.
2. Add the Yong Tau Foo pieces and stir fry for 1-2 mins.
3. Mix plum sauce and sugar with the water. Pour the mixture into the Yong Tau Foo and simmer for 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
4. Off the heat and stir in the miso until it dissolves in the sauce. Serve with hot rice.

Note:
Rei gave me a very useful tip on miso. To reserve its nutritional benefits, stir in the miso only after you have off the heat. So I've amended the above recipe.


Learn something new again today. Thanks Rei! :)


Mood: pleased

No comments: