11 July 2008

Cinnamon Cake

I know, I know, it's been a long while again.

Several "factors" prompt me to start off my engine again.
- I recently bought a book on easy cake making. All recipes are "stirred and baked" cakes, who can resist simple things? ;)
- I realised my flours are all getting into troubles after my long break. I found little creatures crawling in them! Eeeeeek!! In the end I had to throw away three packs of opened flour. Damn heartache! What to do? The only way is to bake more now and use up the remaining flour.

So I embarked on a cinnamon cake today.



I did a little change to the recipe as I do not have the self-raising flour called for. I was lazy to check the conversion, so just based on my "agaration" aka estimation to add in the baking powder. The end result wasn't as beautiful as the cake shown in the book. Mine didn't rise a lot. It was either due to my wrong agaration or over-stirring (my usual problem). And I had to bake the cake for a total of 40 minutes as the inside was wet, for what seemed like a long, long time.



But it was still a satisfactory cake, especially for cinnamon lovers, neither overpowering nor too sweet. Best of all, it was a small cake that can be consumed rather quickly.

Cinnamon Cake (my modified recipe)

Ingredients
120g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon powder
100g butter
100g chocolate (I use normal confectionary chocolate)
70ml hot water
50ml milk
85g castor sugar
2 eggs

Method
1. Combine flour, cinnamon powder and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
2. Melt butter, chocolate, hot water and milk over low heat. Remove from heat, add in sugar and eggs. Stir till well combined.
3. Stir wet mixture into flour mixture until well blended.
4. Pour mixture into loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven at 175°C for 25-30 minutes. Leave to cool.
5. Dust with icing sugar or decorate as desired.


Mood: satisfied

10 comments:

Yuri said...

welcome back wf! what book is it? great looking cake, love cinnamon

Elin Chia said...

waa...nice cinnamon cake. Must add to my to do list :) Thanks for sharing and good to c you are back to baking again. Looking forward to your next project :P

Becky said...

Hi WF,

Has been viewing your blog for quite some time. Like it very much!

Can I check with you if I were to use self-raising flour (mine is going to expire, got to use it quickly..ha..ha..), how much should the amount be. Thanks

KWF said...

yuri, the book I bought is "Easy Stir 'n Bake Cakes". You can find it in Popular.

elinluv, ya, need to use up the flour before creepy crawly creatures appear again...lol...

becky, the original recipe using self-raising flour is
- 60g self-raising flour
- 60g plain flour
- 1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Omit the baking powder and the rest of the ingredients are the same. Do note, however, that I've reduced the original 100g of sugar to 85g. Happy baking! :)

Somebody said...

hi, i am a beginner in baking. just want to ask if you mix in the egg when the mixture of chocolate, butter, etc are still hot or when they had cooled down?

KWF said...

hi somebody, I mix them in when the mixture is just removed from heat, ie. still hot. The eggs won't get cooked, don't worry.

Anonymous said...

to keep your flours/baking ingredients fresh and free from weevils, keep them in the freezer. They do store well and keeps for at least 6 mos or more.

KWF said...

hi anonymous, the problem is, my freezer is always full. Time for a bigger fridge.

Jun said...

hello there..hi, i'm one of ur silent reader... all ur recipes are yummy! since i luv cinnamon, i think i should try this one..hope u dont mind me taking some of 'em..ur recipes, hehe....

KWF said...

hi jun, no prob. It'll be good if you can put a link to my blog so that I can drop by to read yours too when you've done the cake.