29 February 2008

Yogurt Bread

Today I tried a new recipe on yogurt bread. I modified from the original recipe, hoping to make it into a flavoured bread.

The result was a little disappointing (referring to my modification) as the flavour is too mild to be noticeable, at least by me. But the texture of the bread is good. Very soft and fluffy, taste a little like the Hokkaido bread. So another bread to add on to my "approved" bread lists for circulation...lol... Since I'm baking bread almost everyday, it'll be insane and totally unsatisfying to the baker, to just have that one or two recipes for rotation.



Yogurt Bread

Ingredients
250g bread flour
15g sugar
3g salt
3g yeast
100g flavoured yogurt (I've used Mango yogurt)
60g fresh milk
25g egg (about half an egg)
30g butter

Method
1. Place all dry ingredients into the VM and mix for 10sec using variable speed 5.
2. Add in all wet ingredients and mix for 3 secs to form a dough.
3. Switch to high speed. Knead dough by quickly turning the machine ON and OFF a few times. Stop the machine and use a wet spatula to scrape the dough from sides of container, pulling the dough toward the center of the mixture. Remove spatula and repeat the kneading process until the dough form a ball on top of the blades. Knead the dough for another 3 more minutes.
4. Invert the container over a slightly greased large bowl to remove the dough. Shape the dough into a ball. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth or cling-wrap and leave it to proof in a warm place till double its size (about 1 hour).
5. When proofing is completed, punch down the bread dough to release the air.
6. Divide the dough into small portions of about 48g. Shape each portion into a smooth ball and placed them into a loaf pan.
7. Cover the loaf pan with a cling wrap and allow the dough to go for second proofing until double its size again.
8. Egg wash the top of the buns and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of each small bun.
9. Bake in preheated oven at 170-180C for 20 minutes until the top turns golden brown.
10. Remove bread from loaf pan to cool completely.

Note:
- This recipe can also be baked into a loaf. I would suggest baking the loaf at 160C for about 30mins.
- The dough is not sticky and is hence good to use for shaping to make into buns.





Mood: satisfied

29 comments:

sweet-tooth said...

Yum the bread looks good :D

KWF said...

hi sweet-tooth *wave wave*, thanks for dropping by. The bread is good, but not as fruity as I wanted it to be.

I just read your blog, realised we live in the same area of SG. :) And you're a very young baker! Oh yes, congrats on your breadmachine. You can start making delicious bread now. Remember to try the Cream Cheese Bread, it's good!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi KWF, your yogurt bread looks good! very soft and just like those from bakery shops! I have one yoghurt bread recipe in my to-do list too...will see whether I can get around to do it soon :)

KWF said...

HHB, hope to see your yogurt bread soon. I'm hoping to achieve a naturally flavoured one soon.

sweet-tooth said...

Hi KWF!
I just baked the Yogurt Bread as a loaf and it smells heavenly!
I haven't cut it yet though, cos I just took it out of the bread machine.
The loaf's really small, wonder if that's normal?

KWF said...

sweet-tooth, I know. The dough before bake already smells heavenly, especially if you use flavoured yogurt. I just did another experiment today to create an even better yogurt loaf. But can only update you girls tmr after I take my pic ;)

And yes, the loaf is a small one. If you want a bigger one, try 1.5 times the recipe.

sweet-tooth said...

Oh i see...
I'll try making a bigger loaf next time then!
Thanks for sharing tips on how to improve this bread :D
It's so yummy!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi KWF, I have decided to try out your yogurt bread today. I compared yours with the recipe I have (from cookbook)...I think yours look too good to give it a miss :D
I will use Meiji's berries yoghurt, hope it goes well! Wish me luck!!

KWF said...

HHB, I've tried with berries yoghurt as well. It's delicious, especially if you add in a bit of cranberries. *yum yum* Don't worry, yours will turn out fine. :)

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi KWF, I have great success with this bread! I made it into a sandwich loaf...the texture is wonderful, soft and cottony! I've just posted the photo on my flickr :)
Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe...I'm gonna make this bread whenever I have yoghurt in my fridge!

KWF said...

I've seen your photo, very nice bread! I love the colour. Next time I'm going to try with Meiji yogurt also. :)

Whisk N Bake said...

Hi there! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe. I tried it last night and it turned out extremely well. Soft & fluffy. Its definitely one of the best bread I have baked so far! Thanks again!

KWF said...

Congrats michelle on your success! Glad you like the bread. :) My favourite is with berries yogurt.

Baking Fiend said...

Hi KWF,

I used yr recipe and upped it 1.5 times and it turned out great. Thanks for sharing! :)

KWF said...

Baking Fiend, glad you and your family like it. It goes well with some cranberries in it too.

Anonymous said...

Hi KWF..i want to make this bread by hand...how do i go about to do it? hope to hear from u soon.thanks! =)

KWF said...

Hi there, to make this by hand, just mix all the dry ingredients first, follow by the wet ingredients. Knead into a smooth and elastic dough (about 30 mins) before proofing.

Anonymous said...

thanks kwf!!!i will try it tmr..~~ =)

Calvin said...

Is it a necessity to use eggs when making yoghurt bread? Because I just kneaded some dough with strawberry yoghurt in it but didn't put the eggs in.

KWF said...

yatta! how did your bread turn out without the eggs? The egg (though minimal amount) helps in rising the bread a little and also improve the texture (if my memory didn't fail me...lol...).

Calvin said...

Well, after posting my comment I went to quickly mix some in. I kinda did it in the middle of the fermenting process so eventually it didn't turn out as soft. But heck, it was softer compared to my other two creations. I began to use eggs in my other creations after trying realizing egg actually made the dough softer. I have made one with Orange Juice instead of milk, a chocolate bun (initially I wanted it to be a cup shaped bread while I filled it with chocolate, but it came out as a failure) and a cinnamon sugar bread with a bit of condensed milk.

How do you make your bread so fluffy? My breads, even by appearance, when compared to yours, look very tough.

My basic bread ingredients would be:
Water, Bread Flour, Instant Yeast, Milk, Egg, Butter, Sugar and Salt.
And depending on the bread I intend to make, I shift around the ingredients a bit.

Oh, and bread with cinnamon sugar is really nice. I added in cinnamon sugar in the dough in place of sugar, and after baking I also 'painted' the bread with butter and drizzled cinnamon sugar all over it. It would've tasted better if I didn't accidentally make it too flat. I intend to make it again once I get hold of more bread flour.

KWF said...

Yata, making bread is very much an experiment to me, an experiment I enjoy much more than cake making. When it comes to bread making, I'm more daring in changing the ingredients. Through experiments, it seems to me that the liquid/fat content constitute to the fluffiness of the bread. Abd the kneading, of course. So next time you may want to adjust the ingredient % a little and do your own experimentation. Who knows, you may very well just come out with another great recipe!

Calvin said...

But when I put too much water, I can't make the dough... umm... non-sticky.

I tried making a croissant recently. I used way too much butter, so when I rolled it out, everything came out. And when I baked it...

Umm...

Deep-Fry?

Anonymous said...

How to get half an egg?

KWF said...

bakegal, beat an egg, then divide into two portions.

Blessed Homemaker said...

I made this and doubled the recipe so I can freeze 1 lot. However, I used plain yogurt instead. This recipe is a keeper, thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am in the process of making this (first rise at the moment, so exiciting!) but it hasn't risen at all...I used active dry yeast, would that be ok? Are you meant to add the yeast in with the flour or dissolve it first in the liquids?
Cheers
Zo

KWF said...

I use instant yeast. If you use dry yeast, you'll have to dissolve it in liquid first and increase the amount to 4 or 5g.

lilmizpiggy88 said...

Hi! I googled your recipe and tried it today using a vanilla non-fat yogurt. It looks and tastes good, but I don't know how to get it as fluffy as yours! You mentioned that more fat= more fluff in bread, so should I have gone with a fattier yogurt or maybe increase the butter content? Also, I used a hand mixer on the dough and hand-kneaded it before the second proof... is that compromising its airiness?

Thanks for sharing the recipe!!! :)