01 November 2007

Easy Cabbage Rice

I was bored today. Decided to try one of my mum's dishes which I loved when I was young - Cabbage Rice. I didn't have the exact recipe from my mum, so I decided to just cook up something to see if I could get close to that old taste. It worked. :)



Easy Cabbage Rice

Ingredients
1 large bowl of cabbage, sliced about 1 cm thick (I used soup bowl)
2 chicken thighs, deboned and cut into chunks (see note below)
6 dried mushrooms, washed and sliced (keep them thin)
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
Approximately half a bowl of shallots
2 cups of uncooked rice
440ml of water (see note below)

Seasoning
1 tbl Dark soya sauce
2 tbl Light soya sauce
1.5 tsp sugar
Dash of pepper
Salt

Method
1. Fry the mushrooms until fragrant. Keep aside for later use.
2. Fry the garlic till fragrant, then add the meat. Season with a little salt.
3. When the meat is slghtly cooked, add in the cabbage, dark and light soya sauce, sugar and pepper. Stir fry until the vegetables are just cooked but not really too soft yet. Your mixture should yield a little sauce.
4. Put the rinsed rice, water and meat/vegetable mixture into the rice cooker to cook. Remember to stir through them to give a good mix before cooking.

Note:
1. I used chicken because my helper cannot eat pork. You can substitute with thinly sliced pork belly meat or dried prawns (pounded) to give a better taste.
2. This amount of water is slightly more than the usual amount I used to cook white rice. I normally used 400ml of water for 2 cups of uncooked rice. Hopefully this gives you a rough gauge of the amount of water to use.


I ate a little too much again today. If I continue this way, I think I will put on a lot more weight than I should!

Mood: full

No comments: