This is what I had for dinner yesterday night. A dish inherited from my mum.
The rough recipe is here. I use estimation, so didn't really record down the portion.
Dark Soya Sauce (about 1 to 1 1/2 tbl)
Light Soya Sauce (about 2 to 2 1/2 tbl)
galangal (blue ginger) 6-7 thick slices
Five spice powder (about 1/2 teaspoon)
Generous cloves of garlic
Star Anise (about 5-6)
Cinnamon barks (about 2-3)
1. Scald the pork belly for a few minutes.
2. Put pork belly, all spices and seasoning into a pot. Add just enough water to cover about 3/4 of the pork belly. Adjust the soya sauce and sugar according to taste (should be a little more saltish or your pork will turn out too bland when cooked).
3. After bringing all to a boil, simmer in low heat for about 1 to 1 1/2 hr or until meat is cooked. Turn the meat a few times in the cooking process to ensure both sides get seasoned. When cooked, the sauce should be a little thick and less than when first started.
4. Sliced the meat into small pieces after cooled.
5. You can also save the sauce later for braised tau gua (hard beancurd) or eggs.
I discovered another braised pork belly recipe on the net using different ingredients. Shall try that the next time coz it looks yummy too!