Today is one of those days again, where everything goes wrong.
I made the Dumpling Buns from 周老師's blog, but in mini size. All my dumplings didn't turn out well. Half way through baking, they merrily exploded out of their bags and ended up as ugly dumplings. :(
Only one or two managed to retain in their shape, but still with juice leaking out.
I've tried a few ways, but could not salvage the situation. In case you're thinking of making them, these are the things you need to take note of.
- Ensure your bun is tightly sealed after wrapping fillings.
- Ensure your bag is large enough. It's pretty difficult to put in the bun. What I'll suggest is, when you make the paper bag, just staple the bottom layer, staple the side and top only after you've put the bun in. This way you'll have a big opening to place the bun in nicely.
- Do not wait for the buns to double in size in the bags or you can expect more explosion.
- Best to cater for a slightly bigger bag (but cannot be too big) so that your bun has space to expand.
- Staple your bag well. I didn't staple as many as 周老師. That creates holes for the explosion during baking.
I probably would be able to do it better if I were to make these again.
And then my "bad luck" didn't end here. Went out this afternoon only to find my sandals gave way even before reaching my destination. The only little bit of luck was, I was just a few blocks away from home. Called my helper to bring me another pair of shoes.
Maybe I shouldn't try cooking something fanciful when lady luck was not with me. The butter garlic prawns with cream sauce did not meet my expectation too. It was too salty, too milky and too buttery (the last was what hubby said).
I think I better end my day early today.