16 April 2008

Life is beautiful :)

I haven't been blogging these few days. I've been lazy and didn't do much except eating out :P Went to Suki Sushi on Sat to have their buffet lunch, one which we deem as good value for money.

Bought this at a shop nearby after the lunch.


It looked like a can drink at first sight. But when you open it, it's actually a totally different thing!


In case you're still wondering what this is, it's actually some bean embedded in that special material. I bought one home hoping to let the kids learn a little about science by growing our first plant together. The kids were of course pretty excited and kept asking when the plant will start to show. Hey kids, things don't grow overnight, ok! I just checked the plant this morning. It was 3 days after the first planting process and a little shoot has emerged. :)



Tried making pau again yesterday. It turned out a total flop! Fillings was too bland. Skin was chewy instead of powdery. Couldn't imagine a worse pau. :( Was rather upset over it, so went shopping and ended up with a big hole in my pocket (bad therapy to choose when a woman is in a bad mood). Had dinner with hubby at The Manhattan Fish Market, the first time I went there. I must say I was rather impressed with the food. We ordered a Clam Chowder Soup, Butter Garlic Mussels, Manhattan Fish & Chips and Baked Fish in Garden, the bill came out to slightly above $50. The Butter Garlic Mussels was my favourite, absolutely sinful! I hope that one day I will be able to cook out something close to that.

Today I decided to cook Oyakodon for dinner. Well, mine wasn't a real authentic version, but it was good enough as a family meal. There is a useful video which I refer to.



The ingredients used in the video include:
50cc dashi soup (I didn't have that, so I just use the sweet corn soup I cook today)
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tbsp mirin (I didn't have this too, but Rei taught me a good substitution by adding 1/2 tsp brown sugar to 4 tbsp rice wine)
1/2 small yellow onion
85g chicken meat (I marinated the chicken chunks with Teriyaki sauce)
2 eggs
10 Japanese wild parsley (I omitted this)
200g Japanese rice

I didn't follow the above recipe to the dot. I adjusted the taste after some testing. But this should serve as a good guide if you wish to attempt this at home. It's a relatively easy recipe. The crucial thing is to remember not to overcook the eggs. What I did was, I added the lightly beaten eggs last, on top of the cooked chicken and onion, wait for it to start boiling (at the side) for about 5 seconds, off the heat and cover for another 30 secs or so.


Mood: full

2 comments:

Yuri said...

hey wf, welcome back to blogging. sorry about the pao, but I like chewy paos (if that helps).

To cheer u up, I'm planning to bake either rei's hummingbird cake or aunty yochana's steamed bolu pandan next lol ... wanna do it together (virtually)? But let me get ingredients first!

KWF said...

yuri, I'll definitely do the hummingbird cake, but will be trying the original recipe in JoyofBaking (the one Rei was referring to). I promised her I'll try that and let her know how it turn out. But that will have to KIV till next week or later as I've just recently baked a cake.