14 February 2008

Happy Valentines' Day!

I bake my favourite Blueberry Cake today to "celebrate" Valentines (though dh is not around). I use the sponge cake recipe from Aunty Yochana's German Black Forest but did it as a simple blueberry cake instead.

Not too sure how the cake will turn out to be as I intend to cut it only tomorrow. But the plain cake fresh from oven doesn't look too nice. I only bake half a recipe to fit my 6" tray. Using 180C and placing the cake on the 3rd upper rack of my oven caused my cake to crack quite badly on top. The cake did not seem to rise as much as I thought it would. So I decided to bake a second cake after the first was out of the oven. This time I lowered the temperature to 160-170C and placed the cake one rack lower. The cake still crack after about 25 minutes of baking though not as badly as the first. But both cakes shrunk quite a bit when completely cooled and were not as dark brown as Aunty Yochana's cake. It could be the cocoa powder I use.

1st cake


2nd cake


I still went ahead to assemble and decorate the cake. I've got a tall cake since I used both bakes. I took about 3 hours just to decorate the cake! I think I should take up some cake frosting course to know the right and fast way to do things. For someone who's inexperience in cake decoration, this is a very tedious job!





I wish to take this opportunity to wish each and every one of you a very Happy Valentines' Day!


After note:
The cake is soft like those sponge cake we bought from the bakery. So I guess I've succeeded in my sponge cake? LOL...




Mood: tired

1 comment:

sweet-tooth said...

WOAH!
Your cake is so nicely done and layered!!
I already have problems making a 2 layer cake look good.
Haha!
Kudos :D