25 March 2008

A lethargic mind

My mind's a bit "off" today as I slept at 2am yesterday (was making bread last minute). I must be getting old coz I felt really lethargic today. So before my mind takes its holiday again, I better record down the things I've been experimenting these few days.

This was one of the dishes I cooked on Sunday for dinner. I got the recipe from KC, but modified a little. Easy and nice. Great for BBQ too.



Sweet and Sour Chicken Wings

Ingredients
10 chicken wings

Seasonings
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp chilli sauce (I use Lee Kum Kee Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce)
2 tbsp plum sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp lemon juice

Method
1. Combine seasonings and mix well.
2. Season chicken wings with the marinate for at least 4 hrs. Best is to marinate them over night.
3. Bake in the oven at 200C until cooked (about 30-40 minutes).
4. To prepare the sauce, cook the sauce marinate in a saucepan over medium heat until it turns into a thick sauce.
5. Drizzle over the baked chicken wings or serve as a dip.



I "sort of" continue with the experiment of my mochi bread and made another round yesterday. Think my oven temperature is still too high and the mochi bread balls opened up. Still not satisfactory as it's far from what I wanted.




And finally this was what I was doing yesterday night.


I tested a white loaf recipe from a chinese baking book I got from the library. What attracted me to try was this recipe uses condensed milk and claim that it will improve the flavour of the bread. It does not use eggs too. The dough was quite ok to work with, though I find it a little dry. I wasn't too sure if I've over kneaded the dough coz halfway I let my hand held mixer do the job. The bread finally finished baking at 2am. I was already too tired to wait for it to cool to test.

This morning I had it for breakfast. It wasn't as soft as I'll like it to be, though not hard too. Unlike all other loaves I've made, this has relatively less crumbs when sliced. I couldn't taste the condensed milk though my helper said it's milky. There's something I do not like about the loaf though. I find it too yeasty even though I've already reduced the amount of yeast from the original recipe. Not too sure whether I'll make it again, but if I do, I'm definitely going to further reduce the amount of yeast.


Mood: lethargic

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you take some time out for yourself, re-energise and go further with your experiments. Go for a massage or to the spa maybe. Pamper yourself a bit ok. Beauty sleeps are important. Take care,
Sandra

KWF said...

thanks Sandra! I'm an Energizer, I'll bounce back very fast, especially when I'm baking...lol...